Poppy seeds remind me of the poppy field in The Wizard of Oz. 🙂 Thankfully though, these muffins won’t quite have that effect. In fact, they’re protein-packed with Greek yogurt and almond meal to give you an extra boost any morning (but especially on Mondays). If that doesn’t do it, the zing of lemony flavor will be sure to wake you up!
I think you guys know by know, I love lemon flavored anything. Lemon pepper wings, lemon thyme cake… You name it. These are a stark departure from the lemon pistachio corn muffins we made not too long ago- much more sweet than savory. Yes, I actually used sugar! *GASP* I know, but it was organic, unrefined cane sugar, so relax. Still, albeit hesitantly, #HulkApproved. The powdered sugar, not so much. But he liked them with and without the glaze, so we’ll be making these again! (Because, what else am I to do with the rest of the poppy seeds in the jar…?).
Brief commercial: Can I also just say… It’s on baking days like these that I’m really grateful for my handy dandy muffin scoop (although, technically I think it’s an ice cream scoop… No matter!) It scoops out the perfect cupcake/muffin portion which makes filling muffin tins a breeze, especially when you have a big batch! No more scooping by the spoonful, splattering batter everywhere, and maniacally scrutinizing the levels of each muffin cup, praying they’re evenly filled. So glad those days are over!
Back to the muffins! Yes- these are a must-bake. I adapted the recipe slightly from the lemon poppy seed muffins recipe that Maria and Josh shared over at Two Peas & Their Pod. More lemon (because, why not?), definitely Greek yogurt, and hello almond flour! I love the subtle flavor and texture boost (not to mention added protein!) the almond flour gives here. Yum yum yummy!
- ⅔ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 lemons, zest and juice, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Add the sugar to a large bowl and zest both lemons over the sugar. Using your fingers, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until the sugar resembles wet sand and the lemon is fragrant. Add the flours, leaveners and salt and whisk together to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and lemon juice until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold everything together until well mixed. Stir in the poppy seeds and then use an ice cream scoop to divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick or small knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan to cool completely.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make the glaze. Drizzle over completely cooled muffins and serve.