You guyyssssss! This pesto is the TRUTH! Seriously. It’s the best way I’ve found thus far to pack in those super-nutritious greens that taste less than delectable. (By that, I mean… kale. Sorry.) Real talk, this is such a great way to pack in extra nutritional value but do so in a way with seriously amazing flavor. It’s everything spring/summer, and you need it. Period. No, exclamation point! (And it goes without saying that this is #HulkApproved)
This is definitely a pretty liberal spin on classic Italian pesto. No basil or pine nuts or parmesan this time. Instead, I grabbed a box of kale, spinach and chard mix from the store and blended that up with some pistachios, fresh mint, and Grana Padano cheese (this is an Italian-inspired recipe, after all). Simply delicious! The Grana Padano is similar to Parmesan but a bit more subtle. It doesn’t have as strong of a nutty flavor and isn’t as salty. Actually, Grana Padano is lower in sodium and cholesterol and higher in calcium than Parmesan. Win! It complemented the pistachios beautifully without competing with or overpowering the rest of flavors in the pesto. And oooohhhh the mint! It makes this so refreshing and even more adaptable to hot or cold recipes… Totally going to use this on a pasta salad this summer!
Power Green Pistachio Mint Pesto is now my all-time favorite pesto. The classic recipe will always stay close to my heart, but this is just… You’ve just gotta see for yourself!
- 2 cups packed fresh kale/spinach/chard mix
- ½ cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup grated Grana Padano cheese
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Add the greens, mint, garlic, cheese, pistachios, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor. With the food processor covered and running, stream in the olive oil through the feed tube and continue blending until the pesto is smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toss with hot pasta, use in vegetarian lasagna, or whatever recipe you like!