Spring is for citrus. Am I right or am I right?!?! Yup, there are a LOT of lemons making their way through our kitchen in savory and sweet ways. (These Lemon Pistachio Corn Muffins are currently Anthony’s favorite, but this cake is mine!) This lemon thyme bundt cake is a divine blend of both sweet and savory, combining bright lemon flavor with hearty thyme, which has its own kind of lemon flavored vibe going to. Perfect pairing. Perfect brunch treat. Just, perfect.
This cake melts in your mouth and is just sweet enough to double as either dessert or a breakfast/brunch treat. It has a soft, moist crumb from the honey and you get that subtle tang from the lemon and earthy background aroma from the thyme. It’s just soooo good! With just a handful of ingredients, you’ll find this easy to pull together and a joy to share. Since there’s no butter and it’s sugar-free, it’s 100% #HulkApproved and thank goodness, because you’ll surely want more than one slice. So maybe not so much sharing… I won’t judge.
I was inspired by the Lemon Thyme Tea Bread from Taste of Home and decided to give that recipe just a few tweaks to make it my own and make it a little lighter and not so guilty. I used a combination of both white whole wheat and almond flour in this recipe to give the cake a little more depth of flavor and added nutrients. The whole wheat flour is a great source of fiber, while the almond meal/flour adds protein and great texture to the cake. I swapped out the butter in the original recipe for softened coconut oil (per usual) and replaced the sugar with honey. And unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk to boost the calcium and complement the almond flour in my version of this recipe. We’ll definitely be making this one again! I just might not tell anyone…
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup softened coconut oil
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and brush a bundt pan with coconut oil or coat lightly with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Mince the thyme and stir it into the almond milk in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Heat 1-2 minutes until bubbly, then remove from the microwave and let the milk cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the coconut oil and honey. Add one egg at a time, mixing well between additions. Alternately add the dry and wet ingredients a little at a time until everything is incorporated. Lastly, add the lemon zest and juice.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 40 minutes until a small knife inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a plate or cake board to cool completely on top of a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. When the cake has cooled completely, drizzle the glaze over the cake and garnish with additional thyme leaves, as desired. Slice and serve.